Stay over for stunning Glen Innes attractions
Make the most of your visit by staying over to enjoy the magnificent Glen Innes attractions and experiences:
- Pick up a Guide to the Australian Standing Stones from the Visitor Information Centre or Crofter’s Cottage – for Celtic foods and refreshments, too – to get the most out of your visit to the Standing Stones, official national monument to Australia’s Celtic pioneers.
- Be guided by the Visitor Centre to the World Heritage national parks of Gibraltar Range and Washpool and a diverse network of other parks and nature reserves. Stroll through Glen Innes’s CBD with its charming colonial streetscape, hanging basket-adorned shopfronts and more than 30 Heritage listed buildings… take the Heritage Buildings Walk or one of the fascinating Tourist Drives.
- The CBD’s a great place to shop, too, with a warm country welcome and fine foods. Be fascinated at Land of the Beardies History House, one of the nation’s finest folk museums, with 25 rooms showcasing the district’s history and invaluable archives with more than 100,000 family names and business
- Don’t miss the picturesque rural villages of Deepwater, Torrington and Emmaville – visit the Emmaville Mining Museum (open Friday to Tuesday 10am – 4pm, $2.00 entry) where exhibits capture the past of this once bustling tin mining area.
- Fossick in some of the world’s richest gemfields for sapphires, emeralds, topaz, other gems and minerals: again, the Visitor Centre will provide guidance.
- Fish for Murray cod – we’re rated one of Australia’s best areas – trout and other species.
- Take a Pub Crawl on Horseback, bushwalk or bird-watch or simply enjoy the immaculately maintained town parks.
- Sample award-winning local wines, Wright Robertson Winery, through retail and restaurant outlets and visit the Wright Robertson cellar door at Glencoe.
- Play or watch the almost limitless range of sports in excellent facilities – from golf, bowls to skating, swimming and indoor sports.
- Relax in accommodation of your choice from luxury to economy: motels, caravan parks, farmstays, fishing lodges, B&Bs.