The Beardies

In 1838 William Chandler and John Duval, both with long flowing beards, were good bushmen working as stockmen on Tilbuster station. Tilbuster was the most northerly station at that time. People leaving Sydney looking for land were advised to see “The “Beardies”. Chandler and Duval led the first settlers into Beardy Plains, which was called Boyd’s Plains (when Thomas Hewitt took it up for Archibald Boyd) and which afterwards became Stonehenge Station. When E C Sommerlad wrote the history of the area in 1922 he coined the name The Land of the Beardies.

The Building

No museum can be successful without suitable premises and the Glen Innes & District Historical Society Inc (a community based organisation) is fortunate to occupy a building which is itself a museum piece. Formerly the Glen Innes District Hospital, the first section known as the Sharman wing was built in 1877. At intervals over the next 50 years or so, further sections were added until the hospital’s doors finally closed in 1956. As a hospital which was conceived, funded, built and operated by the community, it has immense significance for the history of the town and district.

The Museum

Essentially a Folk Museum, the collection comes from the town and district, and mirrors the history and development of families, businesses, properties, public utilities, churches, industries, schools and the like. In the spacious grounds are numerous examples of early farm machinery. Several of these are very unusual and well worth a look.

The Research Centre

With more than 12,000 photographs, scanned to a database, indexed microfilm of the Glen Innes Examiner Newspaper from 1874, cemetery records, maps, books etc and more than 300,000 records cross referenced, the centre is an invaluable resource for local and family history researchers.

Research Information

Mail to:
Research Coordinator
Glen Innes & District Historicial Society Inc., PO Box 371, Glen Innes NSW 2370

Phone/Fax/Ans (02) 67 32 1035
Email: 

In Person: Please try to let us know when you are coming.
Research staff usually at Museum 9am – 12noon and 1pm – 4pm weekdays, other times by arrangement. Initial cost $25 includes research and photocopies of cards. Payment on the day.

Please remember Daylight Saving time in Glen Innes if coming from Queensland.

Mail/email: Initial cost $35 includes research, photocopies of cards and postage. Payment with request, please.
Corporate Fee: $50.00

Other Costs: Photos/documents saved to thumb drive @70c. Thumb drive @ $10 or send/bring your own. Microfilm printout or saved to thumb drive @ 70c per page. Photocopies: B&W A4 @ 40c, A3 @ $1.00, Colour A4 @ $1.00, A3 @ $2.00

Booklist on webpage. www.beardieshistoryhouse.info

Payment Options
Cash or Cheque or Money order made out to:
Glen Innes & District Historical Society Inc.
Direct deposit into Community Mutual Glen Innes & District Historical Society Inc A/C:
Account Number 1000 87845 BSB 932 000
Reference: your name + research

02 6732 1035
Cnr West Ave & Ferguson St
Glen Innes NSW 2370
Mon to Fri: 10am to noon & 1pm to 4pm, Weekends: 1pm to 4pm both days

Long weekends & public holidays: 9am to 4pm Groups at any time with catering available by prior arrangement.

CLOSED: Good Friday, Anzac Day Morning, Christmas Eve & Christmas Day

(See research centre page) Appointments essential – phone, write or email